Updated: February 07, 2013
McPherson Fire Department is currently establishing an eligibility list for Firefighter/EMT. Local testing through National Testing Network will be offered April 13 at 9:00 am at the McPherson Fire Department. FireTEAM and a valid CPAT are required for this position.
Benefit Information: Medical, dental and vision insurance with Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Paid sick and vacation time, life insurance and KP&F.
Department Information: The McPherson Fire Department is located near the heart of Kansas, 60 miles north of Wichita and 30 miles south of Salina just off of I-135 and on 56 Hwy. Under the direction of Fire Chief Jeff Deal, the McPherson Fire Department provides fire coverage to the City of McPherson as well as King City and McPherson Townships and part of the New Gottland Township totaling approximately 90 square miles of coverage and protecting approximately 14,000 citizens. McPherson Fire Department is one of ten fire districts in the county and is staffed with a combination of career firefighters and volunteers. The other nine departments in the county are staffed with highly qualified volunteers. We have mutual aid agreements with these departments which expands our fire coverage to approximately 900 square miles. The McPherson Fire Department is also a Hazmat response team for the county and handles all incidents involving hazardous materials situations. On average the McPherson Fire Department responds to around 725 emergency calls per year. Approximately 11% of those calls are fire related incidents. The remaining 89% of calls include, but is not limited to, incidents such as rescue and emergency medical services, vehicle accidents, hazardous conditions and service calls.
City Information: McPherson, Kansas is one of the best places to live in rural America. We are proud of the safe family atmosphere that is promoted in our community, “where children actually walk to school, thanks to the low crime rate and small-town feel.” The almost 14,000 residents enjoy living with the convenience of large city amenities less than an hour away.
Take a walk down one of our city streets and be greeted by friends and neighbors, see how warm smiles and friendly attitudes prevail in McPherson. Discover the many beautiful maintained parks and recreation areas, enjoy the freedom of the outdoors where you can see for miles.
Come enjoy family living at its best when you make McPherson your home.
Population: Approx. 14,000
US Citizen: Yes or Lawfully work in the US
High School Grad/GED: Yes
Valid KANSAS State Driver’s License: Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
Associates of Fire Science degree preferred not required.
Once hired, the candidate will need to complete Hazmat Technician classes supplied by the department.
Kansas EMT or National EMT certification
Firefighter I and II certification
CPAT Testing Locations in Kansas:
• Wichita Fire Dept. Regional Training Center- 316-323-0278
• Barton Community College Fire Service Training Program- Great Bend- 620-792-9214
• University Of Kansas, Fire Service Training- Lawrence- 785-864-4468
• Wichita FD Admin- (316) 268-4510
• Overland Park FD- (913) 888-6066
• Kansas City FD Admin- (913) 573-5550
• Topeka FD Admin- 785-368-4000
• Olathe FD- (913) 971-6333
• Lawrence FD- (978)620-3400
• Shawnee FD- (913) 631-1080
• Salina FD- (785) 826-7340
• Manhattan FD Admin- 785-587-4504
Job Requirements and Schedule:
Fire suppression, fire prevention, emergency medical service, and maintenance of the Fire Dept. property and equipment.
The department works 24 hours shifts and the schedule is as follows:
The schedule then repeats
The list will be a combination of scores from the written test, interview, and extra points based on the following:
• 5 extra points for an Associate’s or higher degree in Fire Science from an accredited school.
• 5 extra points for honorably discharged from the armed forces or current active duty drill status in the National Guard or Reserves.
• 5 extra points for being an active member in good standing of the McPherson Fire Department paid call.
• 5 extra points for full-time fire department experience.
To apply and sign up for testing, go to http://www.nationaltestingnetwork.com and click on “Find Firefighter Jobs.” Select the department and read over all the department information and requirements and if qualified, select a testing location and a time and date for testing on the website calendar. For questions concerning the testing process, contact NTN Support at 866-563-3882. For updates and new job announcements, “Like” National Testing Network on Facebook.