Crews respond to reported fire on KU campus

By Sara Humm
Lawrence 6 News

Video & any updates

Crews from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical were called to the University of Kansas campus Tuesday afternoon for a reported fire.

The Art and Design Building, 1467 Jayhawk Boulevard, was evacuated and crews entered the building to search each floor. Crews extinguished a fire in a third floor room in Fowler Shops, which is attached to the Art and Design Building. According to the police scanner, fire officials were testing Carbon Monoxide levels in the building

Around 5:30 p.m., students and faculty were allowed to reenter the Art and Design Building, but not Fowler Shops.

Truck carrying pigs overturns

By Jim Misunas
Great Bend Tribune – April 21, 2015

Photos by Jim Misunas

Photos by Jim Misunas

great bend fire 4212015b

A truck driver transporting pigs flipped his rig on the southwest edge of Great Bend Tuesday afternoon.
The Kansas Highway Patrol, Great Bend sheriff’s deputies, Great Bend police, fire and EMS personnel responded to the accident on the curve at US 56/K-156 at 1:43 p.m. Tuesday.
Traffic was expected to be shut down for several hours at the intersection of US 56/K-156 and Railroad Avenue. Traffic was rerouted west on 10th Street (West Barton County Road).
The stressed animals created a cacophony of squeals, none of them happy. A crew of “hotshots,” gathered quickly to lend assistance and move the animals from the damaged trailer.
Most of the pigs escaped serious injuries, but several of the critters were unable to move freely because of broken limbs or shock.
About a dozen of the pigs were lucky to escape injury and settled in a nearby pasture before they were herded back in an animal trailer.
Dr. Matt Fehr and Dr. Ty Brunswig from AMC Animal Clinic provided medical assistance and evaluated the animals for injuries.

Dumpster fire reported

Emporia Gazette – April 21, 2015

emporia fire 4212015

A dumpster fire was reported at 3:20 p.m. Tuesday at 1533 Merchant St.
Scanner traffic reported station 1 was called to the scene. The fire was quickly out and appeared to be caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

McPherson passes new fire ordinance

By Teri L. Hansen
McPherson Sentinel – April 21, 2015

City commissioners passed a new burn ordinance for the city of McPherson at Monday’s commission meeting. The new ordinance pertains to what is and isn’t acceptable for recreational burning within city limits.
Because of the growing popularity of recreational fire devices such as chimineas and fire pits, the new ordinance regulates the uses of such devices. First the ordinance stipulates that open burning is prohibited; fires must be contained within a receptacle. Next that receptacle must be UL certified. Open fire pits are not permissible. If the receptacle is hand-made, it must be no larger than three feet wide, three feet long and two feet deep. It must have mesh over all openings, and the owner must have written approval from the McPherson Fire Department for its use. In addition, no fire receptacle can be stored, used or maintained on any balcony.
These infractions will count as a Class C violation of the Uniform Public Offense Code and are punishable as such.

Injury accident at KSU Foundation Building under investigation

Salina Post – April 21, 2015

One person was injured in an accident on Monday at the construction site of the new KSU Foundation building and K-State Office Park in Manhattan.

Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Almes said the Manhattan Fire Department responded just after 10:30 a.m. to the construction site at 1800 Kimball.

They extricated a man who had been trapped under a piece of equipment on the top floor and assisted Riley County EMS.

An employee of the steel erection subcontractor, Ferco, was injured and transported for medical treatment. Preliminary reports indicate that the employee’s injuries are not life threatening.

Justin Cooper, vice president of GE Johnson Construction Co., said both emergency medical personnel and K-State Occupational Safety and Health representatives responded quickly to the incident, and that a full investigation is underway by GE Johnson / Hutton, A Joint Venture and its partners.

Firefighters report no injuries in house fire

By Jason Beets and Mike Sellman
Junction City Daily Union – April 18, 2015
Submitted by Newz Group Clipping Service – April 21, 2015

Click on photo to view full-size image.

Click on photo to view full-size image.

Officials are blaming discarded smoking material as the cause of a Wednesday evening house fire.

Junction City fire crews responded to the fire at 1617 N. Eisenhower Drive at approximately 9:20 p.m.

Firefighters found flames and smoke in the rear area of the single-family home.

Teenager Kirsten Stallcup, who lives in the house, was one of the first to notice the fire.

“I went to put my mom’s phone on the charger and saw smoke coming out of the house,” she said.

Stallcup said smoke was on the roof and on the wall.

“The ceiling was bubbly,” she said.

Junction City firefighters performed an aggressive offensive attack on the fire, and gained control of the flames at approximately 9:45 p.m. They also performed search-and-rescue along with ventilation operations.

No injuries were reported. Damage to the home is estimated to be $25,000, with lost contents estimated at $15,000.

Joseph Edwin Torneden

Torneden

Joseph Edwin Torneden, 59, of McFarland, Kansas, died Thursday, April 9, 2015 at Stormont-Vail Healthcare Center in Topeka, as a result of a motorcycle accident. He was a long-time resident of McFarland, Kansas.

Joe was born June 5, 1955, in Wamego, Kansas, the son of Jack and Patricia Fair Torneden. He attended local schools and graduated from Washington High School in Kansas City, Kansas. He then attended the Area Vocational Technical School in welding. He worked many years doing carpentry and construction for DNI in Manhattan and KCPNL in Kansas City among other businesses. Joe’s passion, however, was his music. He was the bass guitarist for the rock and roll band, T-Bone, and they toured around the state. He loved fishing and collecting Indian artifacts. Joe also was a volunteer fireman for the McFarland Volunteer Fire Department.

Joe is survived by his mother, Patricia, Kansas City; his children, Joseph Torneden II, Wamego, Jessica Boehle (Jason), Lawrence and Sara Berkholtz (John), Washington DC; step-son Michael Holstrom II, Savannah, Georgia; his siblings, Jay Torneden, Kansas City, Jill Salinas (Daniel), Kansas City, Julie Torneden, Richmond, Missouri; his grandchildren, Hunter, Riley, Cameron, Jewell, Mason, Jade and Evelyn. He was preceded in death by his father, Jack Torneden, in 2009.

Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m., Monday, April 13, 2015, at Campanella-Gentry Funeral Home in Alma. Burial will follow at McFarland City Cemetery. Mr. Torneden will lie-in-state on Sunday beginning at 2:00 p.m. and the family will receive friends from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers they suggest memorial contributions to the McFarland Volunteer Fire Department and those may be mailed in care of the funeral home. Online condolences may be made at http://www.campanellafuneral.com.