KU’s Fraser Hall evacuated for fire likely caused by tossed cigarette

By Conrad Swanson
Lawrence Journal World – February 29, 2016

Photo by David Johnston

Photo by David Johnston

One Kansas University building was evacuated briefly Monday afternoon for an outside fire.

At 3:04 p.m. a fire was reported along the building’s walls, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical Division Chief Lyle Schwartz.

“It was just two or three evergreen bushes that burned on the outside of the building, it didn’t extend to the building or anything,” he said. “It looked like a discarded cigarette caused it.”

The building was evacuated as the fire was reported, but firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and everyone was allowed back inside again.

No injuries were reported during the fire and the building was not damaged, Schwartz said.

A burn ban has been in effect for Douglas County with the National Weather Service’s rangeland danger rating at “extreme.”

 

Posted by Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com

0 Responses to “KU’s Fraser Hall evacuated for fire likely caused by tossed cigarette”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s