Kitchen fire forces Ottawa residents to evacuate

Ottawa Herald – January 24, 2017
Submitted by Newz Group – January 31, 2017

Ottawa firefighters doused a kitchen fire late Saturday afternoon that forced an Ottawa family from their home.

Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at 5:16 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of South Cypress Street, Ottawa, and found moderate smoke coming from the front door of the home, Chief Tim Matthias said in a report. No one was injured, he said.

“The occupant of the house had put some grease on the stove for cooking, after sometime she smelled smoke and returned to the kitchen to find the stove, microwave and two kitchen cabinets on fire,” Matthias said in the report.

The resident called 911 and exited the house, according to the report.

“Crews went in and extinguished the fire, cleared the smoke from the home and gathered information,” Matthias said. “Red Cross was contacted due to the residents not being able to stay at the home due to smoke damage and no utilities.”

Estimated damage was $1,500, according to the report.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Kitchen fire forces Ottawa residents to evacuate”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s