Family escapes garage fire

By Lindi Simpson
KAKE – February 13, 2017

wichita-fire-2132017b

Video616

A family is cleaning up after a fire destroyed their garage. The fire started 12:00 noon Sunday in a northwest Wichita neighborhood, at the corner of Amarado and Greenspointe.

A woman who lives in the home wasn’t home at the time. She was out running errands, but she received a call from her son that made her heart stop.

“My son calls and said, ‘We’ve got a problem. There’s a fire!’ My first reaction was, ‘Oh my God, call 911!'” said the woman, who asked to remain anonymous.

The woman said she rushed home and arrived within ten minutes of the phone call. She got home to see fire trucks up and down the street, with crews working to distinguish the flames.

Her son told KAKE News he was the only one home and smelled smoke. He went down to the garage and saw the flames. He immediately tried to hurry himself and the pets outside. He was able to get the family’s Labrador out, but their cat ran upstairs and hid under a bed. The son was overcome by smoke trying to rescue the cat, but a firefighter found the cat during their secondary check.

The woman told KAKE News it could have been much worse, and is glad everyone and her pets made it out OK. No one was seriously hurt. The cause of the fire has not been announced.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Family escapes garage fire”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s