Two house fires reported over weekend

By John Richmeier
Leavenworth Times – February 22, 2017

Leavenworth firefighters responded to two residential fires over the weekend, a Fire Department spokesman said.

No injuries were reported.

The first fire was reported at 4:50 a.m. Saturday at 921 N. 10th St.

No one was home at the time. A police officer who was driving by reported the fire, said Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department.

Fire and smoke could be seen from windows of the single story house when firefighters arrived. They extinguished the fire.

DeMaranville said the fire started in the home’s basement and was caused by a portable halogen light. He said the fire spread to a first floor living room, and there was smoke and water damage throughout the house.

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

The second fire was reported at 7:20 p.m. Saturday at 624 Spruce St. Apartment B.

DeMaranville said the apartment as well as its neighboring apartment were occupied at the time of the fire. But everyone was able to make it safely out of the structure.

“We accounted for everybody, and everybody said they were OK,” DeMaranville said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire which appears to have originated in a dryer in a laundry room.

There was fire, smoke and water damage in Apartment B. The fire also spread to a utility room in the neighboring apartment. There also was smoke and water damage in the neighboring apartment, DeMaranville said.

The fire resulted in an estimated $80,000 in damage.

The American Red Cross was contacted to provide temporary lodging assistance for the occupants of both apartments.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Two house fires reported over weekend”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s