Emergency responders trace mysterious smoke to old wiring

By Erin Mathews
Salina Journal – March 31, 2017

Emergency responders discovered old, overheating electrical wiring was the source of smoke that a Salina police officer observed coming out of the ground while he was driving along South Broadway Boulevard about 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Fire Marshal Roger Williams said the wiring apparently once fed an electrical sign of some type that had been at 417 S. Broadway. He said the building is now a computer business, and the current owner was not aware of a sign.

Williams said a small amount of smoke appeared to be coming from the grass in front of the store. The source of the smoke was isolated to defective wiring near a concrete slab where a sign most likely once stood.

Westar Energy employees shut off power to the pole that should have been shut off at some point when the sign was removed, he said. Three breakers had tripped on the power pole.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Emergency responders trace mysterious smoke to old wiring”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s





%d bloggers like this: