Man, woman hospitalized after rescued from KCK house fire by grandson

By Jessica Reyes
KCTV 5 – July 12, 2017

A man and a woman have been placed in the hospital after being rescued from an early morning house fire by their grandson.

The fire started about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 1200 block of S 37th Street.

Cindy Blankenship lives at the home with her parents and her 19-year-old son.

Blankenship’s son says he woke to the smell of fire and then woke everyone else up.

He says he realized he couldn’t rescue his grandparents on his own so he went to get a neighbor to help. He and the neighbor were able to get the grandparents to safety.

“The first thing I did, I went into my parents’ room and told them to get up the house was on fire,” Blankenship said. “My dad’s on long leg braces. I thought he was right behind me and I looked back and he said, ‘Cindy where are you? Help me! Help me!'”

Blankenship says the fire started in the back of the house and that the smoke alarms did not go off. She says they have had electrical wiring problems and have reported it to the landlord several times. She says if it wasn’t for her son and her neighbor, she doesn’t know how things would have ended.

Emergency crews transported the grandparents to an area hospital where they are being treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire has been put out.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Man, woman hospitalized after rescued from KCK house fire by grandson”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s





%d bloggers like this: