Vehicle fire Saturday morning caused by starter malfunction

By Lily Abromeit
Topeka Capital Journal – July 31, 2017

A vehicle fire Saturday morning was ruled as accidental, and officials say the probable cause was a malfunction with the starter.

Donnie Dunbar, a Topeka resident, was driving an old van Friday night when it ran out of gas. Dunbar parked the car outside his friend’s house on SE Echo Ridge Circle, where he left it overnight. In the morning, he put gas in the car and tried to start it. It sounded fine, he said, so he ran something back to the house before leaving. Dunbar said he was gone less than 30 seconds from the van when he smelled something funny. When he turned around, the van was engulfed in flames.

The Topeka Fire Department was investigating the fire Saturday morning and Battalion Chief Mark Brannock said they received a call reporting it at 7:40 a.m. Dunbar said he thought it took about 12 minutes for emergency vehicles to arrive on scene.

Dunbar said he works on cars often and this was one he was trying to fix up. Brannock said there were no injuries to people, but that Dunbar’s dog was in the van when the flames started and died in the fire.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Vehicle fire Saturday morning caused by starter malfunction”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s





%d bloggers like this: